Today there are thousands of women who, for many different reasons need donated eggs in order to conceive. The egg donation is an anonymous procedure in which the donor provides oocytes to the receiving couple.
Donated eggs from volunteers are fertilized with sperm from the recipients partner. After fertilization, the resulting embryos are transferred to the receiving patient following gestation.
2008-2014 Donor Egg IVF Success Rates (Pregnancy) at EmBIO
Clinical Pregnancy Rate
Hence, donor egg IVF is the option for the following groups of women. Those whose own eggs loose the capacity to produce the essential oocytes for conception. In this group there are women with:
1) premature ovarian failure: Women born without or with under-developed ovaries.(e.g. Turner’s Syndrome).
2) those suffering from premature menopauseMost women go through the menopause in their mid to late 40’s or early 50’s. After the menopause a woman is no longer capable of conceiving because her ovaries stop producing eggs and sex hormones. This, however, occurs much earlier to some women, even in their teens or early twenties, before they would even have contemplated starting a family. This condition is called premature ovarian failure or premature menopause.
3) ovarian damage following surgery, radiation or chemotherapy
There is also another group of women, those with active ovaries, but need donated eggs because
1) carry an inheritable genetic disorder such as Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy or haemophilia. These diseases can be passed on to their offspring. Rather than risk giving birth to a child who might suffer greatly and die at an early age, some women choose to have a chance of an unaffected child by egg donation.
2) they repeatedly fail to respond to ovarian stimulation in an IVF programme Some women persistently produce poor quality eggs or embryos when stimulated. These ladies may improve their overall pregnancy chances with egg donation.
3) their own eggs repeatedly fail to fertilise in an IVF programme or their own embryos repeatedly fail to implant
4) they have a history of recurrent miscarriage
We run a range of donor egg programs designed to meet the needs of women in both groups, following the recommendations of the effective legislation. In any case we are working to provide recipients with a matched donor through the highest standars of medical care and treatments. Notably, unlike other programs, we do not advertise, recruit or solicit Egg Donors. All of the Donors in our program have located us as a result of their own diligence and research. You therefore can be assured that these woman are mature, thoughtful and have considered all the ramifications involved.
IVF with Donor Eggs
(An egg recipient's story on the Observer)
Egg donation is a very successful option to build a family. Donor eggs are recommended for women who have:
Age related infertility
Hormonal irregularities that inhibit normal egg production
Eggs that are unsuitable as a result of genetic disease
Have healthy ovaries and a regular menstrual cycle but do not respond well to fertility medications
Have not become pregnant with other assisted reproductive technologies for a significant period of time
Egg donation has become an increasingly popular option (Read our patients' egg donation success stories) because it has higher success rates than IVF cycles using a woman's own eggs. Egg donation also allows for strong biological and developmental relationships within a family because donor eggs are fertilized with the male partner's sperm, matured to an early embryonic stage and then placed in the female partner's uterus, providing her the same gestational experience as natural conception.
EMBIO MEDICAL CENTER has a team of highly trained experts dedicated to assisting couples who are considering the use of donor eggs. They will work with the couple and explain what to expect during a donor egg cycle, how to select an egg donor, and how donors are screened.